First off, the armadillo:
-lives in the America's (my sub-species the nine-banded lives in North America)
-24-32 inches in length
-predators:dogs, wild cats, maned wolves, black caimans, alligators, coyotes, raccoons, and black bears
-only mammal besides humans to suffer from lepromatid leprosy
-20 sub-species (mix and match a little bit?)
-live in forest, rainforest, savannah, and grassland environments
-smell is their main sense to find food
-only the 3-banded species can curl into a ball
-the nine-banded armour shell is slightly weak and can be bitten through
-armour is attached to the skin on its back and a tiny piece on their head
I've thought of several approaches I can direct myself with when it comes to the hybrid.
1. I can attach the armour to my back and some on my head just like the armadillo
2. In addition to number 1 I can add armour to my legs and arms
3. Why be so basic? Why not have armour growing out from underneath my skin, tearing it apart. Maybe all over or just spots of interest where the human body is weak, ie: spine, stomach and nose.
Fig.1 Scale RipTHEME/SETTING
1. I just walk out a the telepod and I have several mutations already
2. I'm burrowing as part of my armadillo instinct in a forest
3. I've been hit by a car and I'm mashed up OR I'm the one that messes the car up
4. A deeper idea! My skin is tearing and armour is appearing underneath. Who would want to exploit my new ability?? The army perhaps! I'm semi-bullet proof and my "kevlar" is part of me and light weight. I've been captured and I'm under the microscope at a laboratory.
More development sketches to come soon in support of these ideas.
Fig. 1 Scale Rip At: http://www.allentattoo.com/2008/02/